Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Academic Calendar has F-ed My Professional Life

The other day I was looking through my closet for a dress to wear to work. I came to the conclusion that I need more "work-appropriate" dresses (yes, even with the 24 unworn dresses) or I need to take summers off. That's when I realized that I've only made it through one summer working. Don't get me wrong. I don't mind working in the summer but I feel like something should change in the summer - new job, new location, travel, etc. Let's take a look at my summers since I began working.

Summer of '99 - working in retail
Summer of '00 - working in retail, getting ready for college
Summer of '01 - summer organizing internship in Chicago, working in retail
Summer of '02 - study abroad in Kenya, retail
Summer of '03 - interning with TFA in Houston
Summer of '04 - training for TFA in L.A.
Summer of '05 - off, traveling, looking for work and living off my intermittent CPS income,
Summer of '06 - off, began grad school, traveling, looking for work and living off my temporary CPS income
Summer of '07 - worked the full-time job I found in the August of '06, grad school, decided it was time to go and found a new job
Summer of '08 - quit my job, spent the summer working out, hanging out with my bff, traveling, and living off my savings, no summer classes
Summer of '09 - looking for work post-graduation, hanging out, traveling, living off my savings

That leads me to this summer. This is when I typically start looking at other options, wanting my freedom, and refusing to stay any place that I'm not happy. What will this summer hold? I love my job and what I do but one person is making it an unpleasant place for me. Can we resolve this issue? How long will I last? Can I stick it out two years until I get my clinical license or will I go running for a chance at change or a summer break? Only time will tell...

In the meantime, education is looking like the only way I can keep a job for more than a year. I can hear the school counseling certification calling.

2 comments:

Eeyore said...

GIRL!!! This should be the introduction to my thesis: Why Kamaria will always be a teacher LOL

i don't know what life is like without summer break..:-)))

b.goody said...

I think schools are calling your name. The evidence is right in front of you! Do it!

But seriously, I know you love what you do now. It's not going to be nearly as rewarding in the school setting. Don't let that one person take you away from loving your work.